Friday, February 11, 2011

SSRJ #3 - D.Walker

   I really wrestled with trying to identify the theme in Walker's, "I am the grass" and I still can't say with any certainty that I completely understand it yet. While it is clear the Surgeon is a man struggling to make amends with himself for past transgressions not easily lived down but I don't think the theme is really as simple as that. Obviously he feels some guilt for the past but he never fully puts aside his harsh feelings for that particular country or its inhabitants. Since he never really lets go of all that animosity I have a very hard time believing he just wants to forgive himself for what he has done. Instead, I believe he is lost. A man trying to find his way or trying to find a niche or place where he truly belongs. Not a physical place but his place in life.
   For example, he opens the story by admitting all the things he can never tell his family about the things he has done. Since most people would describe family as a group of people one can be one's self around, I have to believe that he still has not truly found a place of peace with them. He seems like he would like to come clean but cannot because he wants them to think he is a decent guy. But how can continuing a lie bring anyone peace? Secondly, in the very next paragraph when he writes about coming home from the war he says, "It was as if I were exiled in my own country" (p.326) and goes on to say he had to keep his true feelings hidden and just try to get on with his life. He sounds like he feels as if he were betrayed by his own country and does not feel welcome there.
   The third paragraph has him in Chicago, a place he calls home but still describes himself almost as if he were a man with no sense of purpose or belonging. There are a few more times in the story that he mentions similar feelings while being in different places but its not until the very last sentence where he finally states, "It makes me feel a part of the land" (p.338). But even that revelation does not come until he understands the nature of the land. The constant turmoil of Vietnam mirrors the turmoil in his heart and that has to be why he identifies with the country and the people so much by the end of the story. Therefore, it would appear Walker's theme is not without a sense of irony in that the nature of the land in which he has helped to destroy is more like his own nature than the country that he has always called home.

3 comments:

  1. I absolutely agree with what your are saying. I believe family is the most important thing to have on this Earth and he can't even go to his wife, which should be his best friend. He goes on and on about the crucial things he has done in the war but was he willing to even give it up and move on. My sister is in the military and when anything is on her mind she calls us when she can to release whats hurting her inside. You can drive yourself crazy holding on to turmoil or pain.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Keith,

    I too, struggled with what the complete meaning of this story is. I love what you said, " The constant turmoil of Vietnam mirrors the turmoil in his heart and that has to be why he identifies with the country and the people so much by the end of the story. Therefore, it would appear Walker's theme is not without a sense of irony in that the nature of the land in which he has helped to destroy is more like his own nature than the country that he has always called home". I think that is very ironic. I think that is why it was part of a healing process for him to help out some of the folk there. I think the story to me was about finding peace during peace time which for one who has been to war is " war " within themselves.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Keith,
    I really enjoyed your ideas about the Walker story. Especially the connection between the character's internal turmoil and the nature of Vietnam. I wonder if we could take that a step further and say that Dinh's missing thumb is an outward representation of the pieces missing inside the character. That fixing Dinh's thumb would have been fixing that missing piece inside of himself?

    ReplyDelete